My little blog

Some thoughts that I have from time to time:

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Ever been to Indian Rocks Beach?
I have spent many a week on that beach. My favorite memory though out of all of them came on my last trip to the beach.
My mother and her girlfrriends rented a place on the beach for a week to get away and relax, I happened to book a flight home at the same time and was invited by default to join them. I thought at first....YUCK, go to the beach with my mom and her friends? This is going to be SOME vacation.
We got a great room in a sweet super swanky hotel, then spent everyday eating shrimp cocktail and blackened grouper, sunbathing and shopping, laughing and of course drinking. It ended up being one of the best weeks of my life.
One afternoon my mom suggested we all go to a beach bar get pina colada's and sit and watch the sunset to see if we could see the "green flash"

For those of you who don't know what "the green flash" is here's a brief explanation:
"Green flashes and green rays are rare optical phenomena that occur shortly after sunset or before sunrise, when a green spot is visible for a short period of time above the sun, or a green ray shoots up from the sunset point. It is usually observed from a low altitude where there is an unobstructed view of the horizon, such as on the ocean." -wikipedia
Supposedly it brings you good luck.

So we all went and set up camp at a beach bar and waited for the flash. I remember commenting on how empty the place was considering how amazing it was outside.
Then out of nowhere all of these old...and I mean OLD people came wheeling and waddling in to get their spots good and ready. They all crowded around the edge of the bar to see the ocean from the best possible view...it was as if they came off the "cocoon" tour bus and were directed to stand right in front of our table.
They acted like the closer they got to the table, the longer they might live.
If this weren't bad enough out of nowhere they started to play the 2001 space oddessy theme. As the sun got closer to set, the music got louder.
All of these old people then got very quiet, listened to the music and waited for the sun to go down. You couldn't hear anything but that drum and horn...BAH BAH BAH BUDUDHDHD.
Then out of the silence all I hear is my mom go
"Damn it, I didn't get to see it!" and old lady with a gigantic hat turns around and says "SHHHHhhh, you will ruin it for us". My mom then replies "Oh get a life lady".
My mom and her friends then all start laughing...triumphant against these old biddies who are taking their veiw from them.
I then watched the lady's husband wrap his arm around her and whisper "you've got a life, couldn't get much better could it?"

I remember thinking...that's it.
That's what it's about.
I hope that when I am being wheeled around, or on my way to spoon-fed land I have the smarts to make it to the 2001 space odessy sunset bar with someone I love, and I get to try and see that green flash for the rest of my days.

1 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger Jane Fader said...

Hi!
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blog posts about Indian Rocks Beach to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you :)
Jane

 

Post a Comment

<< Home